On Being Local
Honey - Local, Naturally
ur Goal is to provide our customers with locally-sourced artisanal honey that beautifully reflects the unique floral varieties, seasons and geographic conditions of our apiaries.
We believe that buying local with a line of sight to us, as the producer, provides consumers with confidence that our raw honey is produced ethically and provides a nutritionally beneficial food source containing the naturally occurring enzymes, minerals, vitamins and amino acids. And we want to stay true to our values of sustainability, transparency, partnership and quality.
Ethical, Local - From the Start
At Two Pine Farms, we are driven by the need for a better connection to the food we eat and a desire to improve the environment we live in.
t our NW Calgary home, we have converted much of our back yard into an urban farm of greens, root vegetables and fruit shrubs and trees. Wanting to improve the pollinations of our fruit plants, we had our first two hives in our backyard.
Our fascination and love of the bees was immediate and Mike decided to pursue beekeeping full time so we could share the hard work of the bees, the honey, with our friends and family.
We are excited to share our farming practices and experience so that our customers are able to make an informed decision about our honey products.
Not all Honey is the Same
e wanted to know as much as we could about our new found passion for bees and honey.
e were shocked to learn how honey sold through many retailers is acquired and packaged. Honey products without details on origin or how the bees are managed are common place. Hives often receive blanket treatment for pests and disease without a need being present.
he path of some honey brands from hive to consumer are long and complicated, including blending honey from multiple geographic locations, sometimes from locations that use illegal antibiotics, and adulterating the honey by mixing in grain based sweeteners. Processing with ultra-filtering and heat remove pollen grains, fine particles, and nutrients, resulting in honey that is merely a sweetener and lacks the beautiful flavours and beneficial properties found in raw honey.
Our Values, Your Benefit
• Continuously monitor our hives using practical approaches of management rather than use chemical treatments to ensure strong colony health
• Select apiary locations that are in diverse agricultural and natural areas away from industrial influences
• Raise queen stock that is well adapted for the variability of our southern Alberta conditions and show greater resistance to disease and pest.
• Track the source of our honey so you know where it was collected from and when
• Share our processes we use to manage the hives and extract the honey
• Work with local landowners who share our concern about bee health to be apiary hosts
• Support the beekeeping community and encourage a knowledge sharing network
• Provide delicious, raw (unpasteurized), 100% local honey from our hives
• Build our hive boxes by hand, and then dip them in wax to naturally extend the lifespan
Be Informed - Read labels and ask questions. You have the right to know how your food is produced.
Support Local - Making choices that support ethical practices and include local farmers builds a strong community.